The Trentonian's Strange But True Page

Friday, May 16, 2008

Trial ordered in alleged assault over chicken bucket

PHOENIXVILLE — Charles Joseph Allen, arrested on felony aggravated assault charges after he allegedly beat up a woman last month, was ordered to stand trial in district court Thursday afternoon.
Allen, 48, of the 1st block of North Seventh Avenue, Coatesville, is charged with aggravated assault; recklessly endangering another person; simple assault; harassment; and terroristic threats.
According to court testimony, the woman, whose name is being withheld by The Phoenix, said she was “man-beaten” by Allen inside her residence along the 200 block of High Street around 4 a.m. April 28.
The victim said she was holding a bucket of chicken when Allen tried to grab a piece. She said when she prevented Allen from getting some chicken, a piece of chicken fell to the ground.
“When I bent over to pick up the chicken, he punched me in the face five to six times,” she said. “My eye began to spasm. He cut my lip and busted up my face. When I covered up, he started kneeing me in the chest and elbowing me in the back.”
The victim testified that she felt like Allen was going to kill her.
“He said he should’ve killed me,” she said. “I have bruised ribs and lower spine injuries. My eyesight is bad and I have a concussion.”
Public Defender P.J. Redmond asked the woman if she had smoked crack cocaine that night, to which she replied, “No.”
Redmond asked the woman numerous times about when she had slept prior to the incident, and what drugs and/or medication she was on.
The woman said she was on medication but wasn’t on any kind of drugs.
Court documents state that the woman told police that the reason she was assaulted was that Allen was upset because she would not purchase crack cocaine for him.
When asked by Redmond how long the assault occurred, the woman said, “How long did it last? It felt like an hour, but it was around 20 minutes.”
Officer Bryan MacIntyre testified he was dispatched to
the 200 block of High Street for the report of an assault around 4:18 a.m. April 28.
MacIntyre said upon arrival, he met with the victim, who had obvious injuries to her face.
“There was a very large knot in the middle of her forehead with red abrasions all around it,” said MacIntyre. “Her left eye appeared red and swollen, and her lip was bleeding. She showed me her three front bottom teeth were loose.”
MacIntyre testified that the victim told him that Allen had beaten her up, but she was able to call 911.
After hearing all of the testimony, Magisterial District Justice Ted Michaels held the charges over for trial.
Allen was remanded back to Chester County Prison in lieu of $15,000 cash bail.
His next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday, May 29, 2008, at 9 a.m. at the Court of Common Pleas in West Chester.


Post a Comment

<< Home