Blogs > Daily Local Dan

A blog that takes a look at West Chester area government, politics, and community events.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Lights at Rustin

I have, in the past, written a post that makes it sound like I support the installation of lights at Bayard Rustin High School's football field.

In fact, I don't care whether lights end up on the field. At the time I wrote the post, I was in a literary mood. What I wished to express was this: Westtown Township is part of the Philly suburbs. It is not "the country." It will not be "the country" until 95 percent of its residents voluntarily demolish their houses and move out and the remaining 5 percent quit their jobs and take up farming.

In short: light pollution is part of suburban life. Deal with it.

The West Chester Area School Board on Monday voted to hold off on installing lights at Rustin's field. I wrote pretty extensively about the decision here and here. Cost, not light pollution, was the reason for the school board's opposition.

What is interesting, however, is the voting pattern that has emerged: Terri Clark, Sean Carpenter, John Wingerter, Heidi Adsett and Maria Armandi Pimley (all but Clark are new to the board) vote together. They have, it appears, formed a 5 to 4 majority.

Labels: ,